If you are going to dermaroll your skin, first of all you should know details about the derma roller side effects. Which will help you to be careful on proper use of derma roller.
Almost juventation therapy show potential side effects you must be careful about these effects and take proper protection. Most of the people worry about it but when it is used properly there is less chance of side effects.
In this article we will describe in detail about the side effects post treatment and to prevent or minimize problem. Infection is the most important side effect for micro needling for which you should be very much careful.
As such after every use derma roller should be cleaned and disinfected to avoid bacterial growth. There are many side effects which relatively common as redness, red spot, irritation, bleeding and many more.
One thing should be kept in mind how you roll the roller since aggressive may cause pain and bleeding and repeated rolling without lifting the roller should always be avoided. Side effects may also occur due to the low quality of the roller itself.
Avery harmless and common is that the skin remains dry and rough for few days after derma rolling. The longer the needle the more dryness and roughness. Density of needle is to be considered as a reason of side effects. So the dryness and roughness also depends on density of needles.
Improper Needle Size Can be a Cause of Side Effects
The thickness of skin varies man to man so we should be careful to choose the perfect derma roller according skin type. The length of needle should be so selected that it matches the skin thickness or in other words those who have thick skin should go for 0.30mm and for thin skin go for 0.25mm needles.
The three main side effects are temporary erythema, post inflammatory hyper pigmentation and scarring. Erythema means redness of skin which is most common and may resolve after a few hours of micro needling. The more pressure you apply to the roller the more chances of redness.
In such cases you should avoid going outside so that dust and other polluted material cannot come in contact. Some doctor advice to apply antibiotic cream or moisturizing cream to apply on skin but it depends to the individual. You can also follow microneedling aftercare tips to take proper care of your skin.
The hyper pigmentation is most common to the dark skin individual. It is better to treat before hand with bleaching regimen a few days before taking micro needling. The side effect scarring is not a fault from this micro needling treatment itself but it originates from misuse of roller and selection of proper roller.
Depending the type of skin you should select the length and number of needle in the roller that is the more the thickness of skin you should choose more length and more number of needles.
Another factor is the rolling style and rolling pressure. The more pressure you apply the more chances of side effects. If you roll repeatedly in the same place without lifting the roller it may cause harm to skin. You should also be careful while moving the roller both vertically and diagonally.
Common Derma Roller Side Effects:
When you use derma roller properly you would expect side effects like temporary skin redness, lasting only for few hours, little dryness, minor inflammation and temporary sun sensitivity. We are detailing these effects.
- Skin redness: It is a most common and normal look after the micro needling is over and this will disappear after few hours of operation. In order to avoid worry it is always advisable to take treatment before sleeping. There is a great chance to fade away the redness in the following morning.
- Little dryness: This is also a common harmless side effect and it will continue for a few days nothing to be worried. The application of quality moisturizer will be very effective in such case.
- Minor inflammation: This will occur with the people who posses sensitive skins while needling with long needle with pressure. You should not be worried as because it will resolve itself after few hours.
- Sun sensitivity: After the end of micro needling the skin becomes more sensitive to sun rays for a few days. So direct sun exposure is strictly prohibited. Even then you can use sunscreen for better safety.
Less Common side Effects of Derma Roller:
Depending on your skin sensitivity and misuse of derma roller may some side effects. These are pain, bleeding, acne, bruising, temporary hyper pigmentation, scratched skin and skin irritation.
- The pain is most common to all micro needling therapy which may depend on many factors. The main factors are size of the needle, pressure applied during rolling, the skin sensitivity and the tolerance capacity of the person under treatment.
- In some cases temporary bleeding may occur when rolling aggressively with longer needles. Whatever may be the case the bleeding will stop after a few hours and any blood spot if seen can be washed out.
- Temporary bruising may occur due to the same reason of aggressive rolling with long needles. This will depend on correct choosing of micro needles.
- This type of scratched skin occurs when you aggressively roll over skin , also repeated rolling without lifting the roller is very much harmful.
- Hypersensitive skin rarely experienced with skin irritation or itching But in case of skin rash with raised bump should not go for micro needling. In such cases you should consult a professional skin specialist.
- It is highly recommended to not use micro needling or derma roller when you have active acne. In this micro needling will spread bacteria over the face skin making the acne worse.
- Temporary hyper pigmentation occasionally occurs with the dark skin individual or when you carelessly go to sun exposure soon after micro needling. However you should better use sunscreen.
- Low quality derma roller should not be used at all as because these are made from the needles of non-medical grade of stainless steel. These derma rollers are made with bent and loose needles which are not pre sterilized.
Serious Side Effect of Derma Roller:
Infection is the most serious side effect to be considered while using micro needling. You should be very much careful to clean, sterilize and disinfect the roller before using. With this practice you can easily remove any bacteria available in the roller.